Wednesday, January 04, 2006

60 Journalists Killed in Iraq So Far

Sixty journalists have died in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. CPJ also said that 47 journalists were killed around the world in 2005, more than three-quarters of whom were murdered to silence their criticism or punish them for their work. These are sad figures, but also point to the kind of sacrifice many in our profession make for a greater good (we hope).

I had always wondered if I would ever be willing to go to Iraq or another dangerous place as a correspondent and to this day I'm not sure if I would have the courage. I would be especially reluctant because only a few months ago I saw the wife and son of my friend Taras Protsyuk, a Reuters cameraman killed in Iraq in March 2003. Taras was a great guy and his death alone was painful. But seeing the family he left behind only multiplies the loss. Taras and all the journalists who have died on the job are heroes. I hope we can live up to their examples.

No comments: